Please read the guidelines below before planning your event:
The following guidelines provide helpful information for planning a successful fundraising event and generally define the extent to which the UMMS Foundation may be able to provide services for your event. Additional policies and procedures may apply. If you have any questions, please contact Whitney Krapf at 410.328.7673 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please complete and submit the Third Party Sponsored Event Application on the following pages for review and consideration to host an event no less than two months prior to the proposed date of your event. All requests will be reviewed by UMMS Foundation and a response provided within two weeks of receipt of the completed application.
The UMMS Foundation must be notified in writing of any significant changes to the planned event. If the UMMS Foundation determines that circumstances warrant, the UMMS Foundation at any time, may direct the event organizer to cancel or make changes to the event. Event organizers must agree to cancel or make the changes to the event, if so directed.
The event organizer is responsible for obtaining any and all necessary permits, licenses and required insurance, including liquor licenses and gambling and/or raffle permits, if applicable.
Events must comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing charitable fundraising, gift reporting and special events.
The amount or percentage of proceeds to be donated to UMMS must be disclosed on all promotional materials for the event. If there is more than one beneficiary for the event, the amount or percentage of proceeds donated to each beneficiary must be clearly stated on all promotional materials.
The University of Maryland Medical System Foundation will accept only the net proceeds from the event (pledges must be collected and bills must be paid prior to the University of Maryland Medical System Foundation’s acceptance of funds).
All net proceeds from the event should be received by the UMMS Foundation within 60 days of the conclusion of the event. Checks are to be made payable to the UMMS Foundation, include the name of the Third Party Event in the memo line and mailed to the address below:
- Submission of Third Party Sponsored Event Application does not obligate the UMMS Foundation to enter into a fundraising program with your organization. Only after approval of your application by the UMMS Foundation will the fundraising relationship be established.
- To repeat an event, event organizers must submit a completed Third Party Sponsored Event Application form to the UMMS Foundation in each successive year.
An itemized accounting of all funds collected and expenses related to the event is to be provided to the UMMS Foundation within 60 days of the conclusion of the event, if requested.
The University of Maryland Medical System Foundation cannot extend our tax exemption, meaning that an attendee or donor to your event will not be provided a charitable acknowledgement letter from the University of Maryland Medical System Foundation.
Third party event sponsors are not permitted to use the UMMS Foundation sales tax exemption for event related expenses.
The UMMS Foundation may receive funds from other similar promotions or events.
The UMMS Foundation must approve, in advance, all copy for invitations, advertisements, press releases, posters or other promotional information related to your event. Please do not make public announcements or promote the event until you receive written approval from the UMMS Foundation. UMMC or an affiliate may only be identified as the beneficiary of the event.
- UMMS Foundation
110 S. Paca Street, 9th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Please notify the UMMS Foundation in writing if you plan to contact businesses, individuals or organizations for sponsorship or underwriting of the event. If you plan to solicit contributions, sponsorship or gifts-in-kind from local businesses, the list of businesses you plan to contact must be reviewed by the UMMS Foundation before being solicited. Please remember that many individuals and businesses already support UMMC.
The UMMS Foundation will not solicit sponsorship revenue on your behalf for your fundraising activities.
The UMMS Foundation cannot provide mailing lists of contributors, employees, volunteers or vendors for solicitation.
Due to the number of third party sponsored event requests, the UMMS Foundation cannot provide volunteer support or guarantee staff representation at your event.
Each party shall be responsible for its own acts and omissions and the acts and omissions of its employees, officers, directors and affiliates. A party shall not be liable for any claims, demands, actions, costs, expenses and liabilities, including reasonable attorneys' fees, which may arise in connection with the failure of the other party to perform any of its obligations hereunder.
- For example, an event may not be called "Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center Walk-a-Thon." The event should be promoted as the "Walk-a-thon to benefit the Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center."
The University of Maryland Medical System Foundation reserves the right to disassociate its name and involvement with any group/individual or event by issuing a written statement to that effect. Upon receipt of this letter, the group/individual conducting the third party event must cease using the name or logo of the University of Maryland Medical System entity in any and all connections with the event.
- The event organizer must provide and maintain during the term of any agreement, at their expense, general liability insurance coverage in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 in the general aggregate.
- If alcohol will be served at the event, liquor liability insurance must be secured and maintained during the term of any agreement and at the event organizer’s expense.
- Dependent upon the type of event you are hosting, additional insurance coverages and amounts may be required.